Tuesday, January 5, 2016

I'll Miss You, Chips & Salsa

New Year, New Me.  We’ve all said it.  What does that even mean?  Do we really want a “new me”?  So many of us focus any New Year’s Resolutions we make on new bodies and being more physically fit. Especially women.  I gotta tell ya, I refuse ladies.  I simply refuse.  I don’t want a new me.  The Lord has done too much work on this Robin Brown in my 38 years and even though He still has His work cut out for Him, I’m looking forward to what He has planned for the rest of this Robin Brown’s days.  So, no….I don’t want a new me.   I simply want a healthy me, inside and out so I will be able to take on whatever He may have in mind.   

I know it’s been a while but, when I started this blog a few years ago, I promised we’d address some root issues.  This one right here is long overdue.
"”All things are lawful for me”, but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful for me”, but I will not be dominated by anything.” ~ 2 Corinthians 6:12
In this case, I'm claiming that focusing on weight, food, dieting, and our overall appearance…..can be enslaving.  I will not let this culture bully me into it and I will not be dominated by any of it.  The thought of weighing myself everyday makes me almost fighting mad.  I refuse.  It keeps our minds and far too much of our efforts focused on ourselves.  In my humble opinion, THAT is the point.  It is a ploy from the enemy that is alive and well in our materialistic, temporally obsessed society to keep us from focusing on what is real.  
For real, ladies….we are going to shed these bodies one day.  They are temporary and whatever size they may be…they are such a small part of our existence. 
Now, I’m not at all saying that all dieting is bad or that you shouldn’t exercise, etc.  By all means, if your health is holding you back or you need to tame the beast that is your appetite, please get after it. I have some things I’m going to be working on this year, too.   Just promise yourself from the beginning that you will not be dominated by it!! I am simply telling you my thoughts at the root of our food and body obsessions: I am convinced that if we just focused on Jesus and His business on this earth and simply didn’t think so stinking often about food, carbs, abs, bikini bodies, and whatever else our culture tells us we should focus on….most of our food and body image issues would take care of themselves. 

Having said all of that, I realize I need to tweak a few things in my daily living to make sure I’m physically capable of doing justice to the things that I’m called to do on a daily basis.  I'm addressing each of them by name and sharing them with y'all....An open letter, if you will,  to my bad habits.   Feel free to help me stay accountable going forward! Beginning now, January 2016, I'm committing to the following:

1.       GETTING MORE SLEEP!
Facebook –our late night rendezvous habit is over.  My friends will understand and know me well enough to know I’ll be back the next day!
Netflix – you will no longer rope me into “just one more episode” past 9 pm.  Fine. 10:00. 
Books – I don’t care how good you are or what incredible new things you’re teaching me. I have to be disciplined enough to admit it and put you down when my time with you is going to infringe on my happy place disposition the next day. 
Peter and Preston – I love you both more than life itself, but I no longer feel sorry for you for staying up late to do your homework assignments.  Therefore, I will be leaving you to it, not hanging around and spurring you on.  Spurring ends at 9.  I know initially you will be glad to be rid of me and my hovering, but If you have a hard time focusing on your own that late at night or just want to go to sleep, you should get homework done in the 6+ hours of actual free time that you have most days.  Now - You may have to work ahead just a little on the weekends to make up for days that you get to do things like play baseball and soccer after school or hang out with your friends at church.  K?
Jude – well, you’re so good most nights and out by 8.  Thank you for taking it easy on me.  Keep up the good work sweet pea.  
Steven Brown – the rules don’t really apply to you, Sweetness.  Just keep in mind that part of the reason for the earlier bedtime is so I can be well rested for the next day which, makes me much nicer and less scatterbrained….in turn, making life better for all of us!:)

2.       EXERCISING MORE FAITHFULLY!!
Back – prepare for strengthening.  You’re going to be reacquainted with our old friend, the big blue exercise ball 3 times/week. 
Arms – you haven’t seen any dumbbell action in a while.  Prepare yourself to work out alongside Back 3 times/week. 
Zumba Community – look out.  This sister girl is about to come up in there on y’all. My heart needs the cardio.  I’m hoping you will be more fun and nicer to my knees and feet than running has been (Don’t worry Back… I’ll try my best not to throw you out with any craziness!!)

3.       HEALTHIER FOOD CHOICES!!!
Water – You know I don’t drink much of anything and far too often, I’ve replaced you with Coke, Diet Coke, Sweet Tea….anything but you.  I realize, though, that you are what my body needs.  So, while I will not completely abandon my favorite drinks, I am going to make sure that if I totaled up the numbers at the end of each day, you will come out way ahead of the others. 
Chips & Salsa – I’m not saying we can never see each other again – I’m just saying every night is not going to work for me anymore.  I may even see you occasionally at a restaurant for lunch!   Don’t worry though – Salad and Fruit will never take your place in my heart.   

So, I guess my New Year’s Resolutions are more of an overall mindset to be better to my body and to be an overall better servant.  I’m not depriving myself of anything, nor am I dreading the changes.  None of these things are drastic enough to produce fast results and I’m ok with that.   The lasting change that is able to increase blessings to those around me…..that is what I’m after.  Wish me luck!!


Happy New Year y’all!! May God Bless & Keep You in 2016!!!

2 comments: